This program is also available in North Carolina.
Water heating is the second largest energy expense in your home, accounting for about 18% of your utility bill. It’s easy to earn incentives on your water energy usage with the Residential Water Energy Demand Response Program from Dominion Energy Virginia.
You’ll help your community’s energy demand by allowing Dominion Energy to make minor, short-term adjustments to your heat pump water heater’s temperature settings during periods of high energy demand. You’ll always have control of your heat pump water heater, and can pause or opt out of participation at any time.
How it Works
- Purchase an eligible heat pump water heater and have it installed.
- Already own an eligible model? Skip to step 2.
- Enroll your heat pump water heater in the Water Energy Demand Response program to continue earning incentives each year after successful participation.
- Your heat pump water heater must participate in 75% of the event hours of a given demand response season to qualify for the incentive.
- Get rewarded with $40 after your first year of participation and $10 per year thereafter.
Energy-Efficient heat pump water heaters
The Water Energy Demand Response program is currently accepting enrollments on eligible heat pump water heaters.
Learn more about these energy-efficient heat pump water heaters below.
Heat Pump Water Heaters
Heat pump water heaters use electricity to move heat from one place to another, rather than generating heat directly. Due to this design, heat pump water heaters can be two to three times more energy efficient than conventional electric resistance water heaters.
The Water Energy Savings Program offers a rebate up to $400 off the purchase of a new heat pump water heater that meets ENERGY STAR® performance requirements.